Thursday, March 31, 2016

First attempts with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

My very first time using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint... and I think I really really like it!  It is very easy to use... very forgiving.  Goes on very quickly.  And you can paint literally anything with it, and the best part... ZERO prep work!

Started super easy & did the horrid letters above the fireplace.  Didn't even take them off of the wall to paint them.  They were splattered with paint, so they were bumpy.  Unless you are right up at them, you cannot tell they aren't perfectly done!  Didn't even wax them.  They look a million times better.

TV stand is just an old IKEA shelf.  The kids had scratched the life out of it.  I also didn't like that it was black.  It was just way too heavy looking in the room.  I misunderstood the directions & watered down the paint, so it took 4 coats of paint.  But, it still worked.  And I love the way it looks.  Sooooo much better than the scratched up black.  Just for a suprise of fun, I put the green seahorse fabric in the back.  It can easily be changed out come fall & winter.

The BIG project I have been wanting to do for years, but just never knew how to do it, was the fireplace.  I have always hated it.  Never liked the green fake marble tiles.  Steve never wanted to pay to have it redone.  I just didn't know how to cover it up.  A friend suggested the chalk paint.  That is how I found it in the first place.  2 coats + a touch up coat & I think it looks a ton better.  Roughed it up a tiny bit w sand paper.  Let each coat of paint dry 24 hours.  Then 2 coats of wax with 24 hours drying time in between.  Very simple & fast.  And so far, it has held up very well.  I want to attempt my entrance way faux marble floor next!


No comments:

Post a Comment